Use with IE8 (jQuery 2.1 issue)

Topics: General, Installing BugNET
Jun 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Within our organisation we are stuck on IE8. It seems that version 2 of jQuery is not compatible with this version.

Is it relatively straightforward to replace jQuery 2.x with jQuery 1.x or is this likely to cause problems with BugNET?

Would this simply be a case of replacing the 2.1 scripts within /scripts ?

Many thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM
For now , you should be able to replace the jquery scripts in the scripts folder with the 1.x and it should load them instead.
Jun 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Thanks,

I replaced the jQuery files (I think only the .min.js file is used?), but needed to rename jquery-1.11.1.min.js to jquery-2.1.0.min.js in order for it to work.

While checking that the .js files were loading I noticed that there was an image file getting a .404. I think this is from Site.css where a couple of the paths have '../../' instead of '../'
.milestone-group-header {
    text-align: left;
    padding: 5px;
    cursor: pointer;
    padding-left: 40px;
    margin: 10px 0 0 10px;
    background: url(../../images/package.gif) no-repeat 10px 7px;
    min-height: 50px;
}
.calIssuePrivate {
    background-image: url(../../images/lock.gif);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 3px 3px;
    padding: 3px 0 0 23px;
}
#twitter-button i {
    background: url('../images/icon_twitter.png') center center no-repeat;
}

#facebook-button i {
    background: url('../images/icon_facebook.png') center center no-repeat;
}
Loving the project - many thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2014 at 7:26 PM
jessop wrote:
Thanks,

I replaced the jQuery files (I think only the .min.js file is used?), but needed to rename jquery-1.11.1.min.js to jquery-2.1.0.min.js in order for it to work.

While checking that the .js files were loading I noticed that there was an image file getting a .404. I think this is from Site.css where a couple of the paths have '../../' instead of '../'
.milestone-group-header {
    text-align: left;
    padding: 5px;
    cursor: pointer;
    padding-left: 40px;
    margin: 10px 0 0 10px;
    background: url(../../images/package.gif) no-repeat 10px 7px;
    min-height: 50px;
}
.calIssuePrivate {
    background-image: url(../../images/lock.gif);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 3px 3px;
    padding: 3px 0 0 23px;
}
#twitter-button i {
    background: url('../images/icon_twitter.png') center center no-repeat;
}

#facebook-button i {
    background: url('../images/icon_facebook.png') center center no-repeat;
}
Loving the project - many thanks!
Thanks! The milestone group image was updated in the 1.6.313 release, but the lock image wasn't so we will get that one fixed.
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Hi

Unfortunately, the swap to jQuery 1.11.1 makes the site look rather odd in IE8, with wrong alignments of some elements and menus which overlap with stuff.

With jQuery 2 the site looks right, but the drop down menus do not work so the site cannot be navigated.

Is this is something that might be looked at or is IE8 not going to be supported going forward? I can understand this, as it is not a modern browser, however I am working in a corporate environment where the standard browser is currently IE8 and is likely to be that way for some time.

Thanks