Column 'PasswordVerificationToken' required for property 'PasswordVerificationToken' was not found in table 'BugNet_UserProfiles'.

Topics: Installing BugNET
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Hi there,

Been using BugNET for quite some time and done several upgrades which have all gone totally smoothly. This time, however, I'm getting the error: "Column 'PasswordVerificationToken' required for property 'PasswordVerificationToken' was not found in table 'BugNet_UserProfiles'." after installation and turning on Windows authentication after running the install in "Forms" mode.

Any clues as to why this is?

My network admin had used "ApplicationPoolIdentity" instead of "NetworkService" initially in IIS when I ran Install.aspx. I did then receive an issue about the SqlDataProvider (could be the wrong name - I didn't take a screenshot) table already existing during the DB upgrade script run when I ran Install.aspx but the page did still return "Upgrade successful!". I ran Install.aspx again once I'd done the application pool user switch and it said nothing to do.

I've obviously got the DB backed up - just wondering whether I need to revert now that I've switched it "NetworkService" and try again or is there more to this error?

I also noted that my 1.4 config file doesn't have the PasswordVerificationToken and PasswordVerificationTokenExpiryDate columns specified in the profile settings in the web.config. I take it this is a recent change?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM
paulbaumgartner wrote:
Hi there,

Been using BugNET for quite some time and done several upgrades which have all gone totally smoothly. This time, however, I'm getting the error: "Column 'PasswordVerificationToken' required for property 'PasswordVerificationToken' was not found in table 'BugNet_UserProfiles'." after installation and turning on Windows authentication after running the install in "Forms" mode.

Any clues as to why this is?

My network admin had used "ApplicationPoolIdentity" instead of "NetworkService" initially in IIS when I ran Install.aspx. I did then receive an issue about the SqlDataProvider (could be the wrong name - I didn't take a screenshot) table already existing during the DB upgrade script run when I ran Install.aspx but the page did still return "Upgrade successful!". I ran Install.aspx again once I'd done the application pool user switch and it said nothing to do.

I've obviously got the DB backed up - just wondering whether I need to revert now that I've switched it "NetworkService" and try again or is there more to this error?

I also noted that my 1.4 config file doesn't have the PasswordVerificationToken and PasswordVerificationTokenExpiryDate columns specified in the profile settings in the web.config. I take it this is a recent change?
If there was a database error when upgrading I would revert back and try again, get the full error and post it here if you can.
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Thanks. I reverted and tried again (with the app pool user set to NetworkService) and it worked this time, thankfully.

As it worked, I can't give you the exact error message but it did say something like "SqlDataProvider: Object already exists" while running the DB script in Install.aspx - that's as much as I can give you, I'm afraid.

You may be able to replicate the issue by trying to upgrade from 1.4.256 to 1.5.256 with an application pool user of "ApplicationPoolIdentity" in IIS 7?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM
paulbaumgartner wrote:
Thanks. I reverted and tried again (with the app pool user set to NetworkService) and it worked this time, thankfully.

As it worked, I can't give you the exact error message but it did say something like "SqlDataProvider: Object already exists" while running the DB script in Install.aspx - that's as much as I can give you, I'm afraid.

You may be able to replicate the issue by trying to upgrade from 1.4.256 to 1.5.256 with an application pool user of "ApplicationPoolIdentity" in IIS 7?
Yes, the app pool has to be set to the identity that has access to the database, usually network service unless a custom one has been setup.
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM
We use a custom SQL user for accessing the DB in the connection string (i.e. NOT Windows integrated authentication) and the DB script failed (due to not being "NetworkService"?) but still updated the internal DB version number.

When I changed originally from "ApplicationPoolIdentity" to "NetworkService" after the script failed and re-opened Install.aspx, it reported the DB version as "1.5.256", which was actually incorrect then after script failed.

More error checking in the script required before updating the internal DB version perhaps?