Moving the Bugnet server?

Topics: General, Installing BugNET
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Edited Oct 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Hello all, Adam here.  After a bit of assistance and some pointers if possible...  thank you in advance :)

We've been running BugNET quite happily on a server here and have a dozen or so projects set up on it - all great, we're really happy with what it does.

We will shortly be decommissioning the server that BugNET currently sits on, so I've been busy prepping a new server.  I've downloaded the latest version, installed and configured in IIS 7.0, and got it working.  The plan was to then replace the new BugNET database on the new server, with the old BugNET database from the old server so that all the projects etc remain intact.

For the time being, I modified the web.config to point to the database which is still sitting on the old database.  This ran the upgrade stuff on that database and it's working fine on there, so right now we have the site running from the new server, but pointing to the database on the old one.

Obviously I now need to change the site so the database is on the new server rather than the old one.  Are there any things I should look out for?  Simply copying the database across to the new server and tweaking the web.config to use this one instead, causes the /install/install.aspx script to try to re-run (but it fails)...  but I can't figure out why.

Is there a way to transfer the database from one machine to another?

Thanks in advance,

Ad

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hi,

Make sure that you have copied the machine key from the old web.config to the new one, which you have probably done if you are using the site successfully.

Also copy the installation date, without that BugNET will think its a new install.

Other than that it should work fine.  You should be able to detatch or backup your database and then restore to the new db server without issues.

The main thing is the machinekey in the web.config.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Hello dubeaud,

Thank you for your help.  I did as you suggested and copied the machine key across, and made sure the install date was the same on the new web.config.

It's still not working as expected however.  If I have the datasource in the connection string in the web.config set to vs13 (the original database), it loads fine.  If I change the web.config connection string to be vs13-1 (the new server), it comes up requesting the /install/install.aspx page, and a load of errors.  I've detached the database from the old server, copied to the new one and reattached, but it still does the above.  And it's confusing...

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

Ad

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That should do it, unless your new server is unable to contact the new database server.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM

The new server and the new database server are the same box.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Can you connect to the database from other applications?