Installation fails - ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Topics: Installing BugNET
Sep 13, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Hello

Trying to install BugNet on a Win Server 2008 R2 SP1 + IIS 7 + MS SQL 2008 (with user authentication).

- BugNet zip file 1.1.213-install content has been extracted in my web folder (E:/webfolder/BugNet)

- Network Service has modify rights on all E:/webfolder/BugNet folder

- No virtual directory created since E:/webfolder/ is already my root folder. http://myserver/BugNet is visible without virtual directory

- BugNet converted to application, in IIS. Right click on BugNet»Manage Application»Advanced Settings» Application Pool=ASP.NET v4.0. Btw, here, Physical path Credentials = Application user.

- SQL DB created (but I do not get what this means "Configure the SQL User Security/Account to allow IIS and ASP.NET access to the database in SQL")

- New DB and New user user created in DB with dbo role

- Connection string updated to 

connectionString="server=myserver;database=BD_BugNet;uid=sqluser;pwd=bugnetpwd" providerName=""

I went though all support topics... but I can't make it work and keep getting ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. 
Any hint?

Thank you for your help
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM

So... did some further tests...

Obviously granting modify rights to Network Service is not enough... I granted modify rights to Everyone and now installation succeed...

I'll try to restrict a bit more folder access now.

Clems38

Developer
Sep 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM
clems38 wrote:

- BugNet converted to application, in IIS. Right click on BugNet»Manage Application»Advanced Settings» Application Pool=ASP.NET v4.0. Btw, here, Physical path Credentials = Application user.

Actually what you should have done at this step is Create a new Application Pool (Called BugNET) using the v4 framework, then select the new application pool from the Application Pools tree-view on the left (In IIS) and right click -> Advanced Settings.  Then set the Process Model -> Identity to Network Service.  Once this is done you can then assign your BugNET site (or VDIR) to that application pool.

Doing this isolates BugNET from other IIS sites by running it in it's own worker process.  It also allows the folder permissions you set for Network Services to work properly as the Identity of the process model is passed through.

- William

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Hello

Thank you for your help. As recommended, I created a new BugNet app pool and assigned the Network Service identity. Issue is now fixed.

Clément.