My upgrade notes when upgrading to v1.0.187.0

Topics: Installing BugNET
Aug 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Below are some changes that I had to make when installing v1.0.

I ran the installer against a bare v0.8 install (to test an old upgrade path).  The changes are updates to the web.config file and the removal of some files in the file system (old dlls, and outdated resources).  Also some of the changes below you may opr may not have to make depending on your server config as well you might have made these changes already while doing your upgrade path.  If you are upgrading from an old version remember to change the .NET framework to v4 (App Pool or IIS settings)

My test environmet is a default install of Windows 2008 R2 with no custom config.
Before you do any upgrades make sure you backup your database and or web folder.  Since every install can be different better to be safe than sorry.

If you have or had to make changes yourself please add them to this discussion to help others when installing.

WEB.CONFIG

• In the configSections remove the entire sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" section as this in now a part of the default .NET 4.0 machine.config file.
  • In the configSections change the section DataProvider type to "BugNET.DAL.DataProviderConfiguration, BugNET.DAL".
  • In the DataProvider section change the type to "BugNET.Providers.DataProviders.SqlDataProvider, BugNET.Providers.SqlDataProvider".
  • In the system.web/profile section change the MyProfileProvider type to "Altairis.Web.Security.SimpleSqlProfileProvider, Altairis.Web.Security, Version=2.4.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9a962e35c1398fb4".
  • In the system.web/globalization element remove the resourceProviderFactoryType attribute.
  • In the system.web/authentication element change the forms loginUrl to "~/Account/Login.aspx".
  • In the system.web/pages/controls elements add the following element <add tagPrefix="openAuth" assembly="DotNetOpenAuth" namespace="DotNetOpenAuth.OpenId.RelyingParty" />.
  • In the system.web/pages/controls elements add the following element <add tagPrefix="bn" tagName="PickDate" src="~/UserControls/PickDate.ascx"/>.
  • In the system.web/compilation element add the attribute batch="false".
  • In the HtmlEditorProvider/providers/CkHtmlEditorProvider element change the providerPath to "~\Scripts\ckeditor\".
  • In the HtmlEditorProvider/providers section remove the FckHtmlEditorProvider element.

BIN FOLDER

Remove the following DLLs.  Also you can delete all of the *.xml files as they are not needed by any code.

• Altairis.Web.Providers.dll
  • BugNET.Providers.FckHtmlEditorProvider.dll
  • BugNET.Providers.jHtmlAreaEditorProvider.dll
  • BugNET.Providers.ResourceProviders.dll
  • FredCK.CKEditor.dll
  • FredCK.FCKeditorV2.dll
  • Mail.dll
  • RSS.NET.dll

ROOT FOLDER

Remove the following files and or folders (may or may not be present).  Unless you are using them for your own code don’t delete them.

• \js\*
  • \Properties\*
  • \Providers\HtmlEditorProviders\*
    • Note if you have configured ckeditor in the config.js file or changed any of the settings you will need to transfer those settings to the /Scripts/ckeditor location as this is where the scripts now reside.
  • \Shared\Bug.master
  • \Shared\Default.Master
  • \Shared\FullWidth.Master
  • \ForgotPassword.aspx
  • \Login.aspx
  • \MailLicense.xml
  • \Register.aspx
  • \Rss.aspx
  • \UserProfile.aspx

Hope this helps.
- William

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Very useful!!!  Thanks.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thanks. I linked to this thread from the release page.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for this info.

I have just upgraded from 0.8.295.0 to 1.0.187.0.  My usual process is to take the critical/credential settings from my web.config and apply them to a freshly-installed copy of the site.  Then I just let the DB update as part of the upgrade process.

There were a couple of SQL errors from the update this time, but they referred to the StringResources table, which looks like it was later DROPped, so I didn't worry about those.  More importantly, it looks like a new view is required for each Project with the name: BugNet_P<ID>_CFV (where <ID> is the Project ID).  I only discovered this because the web site errored after I upgraded it, and I had to install a fresh/blank database elsewhere and run a schema compare tool.

I post this just in case it helps anyone else having problems.  I was scratching my head for a while when the error output mentioned 'BugNet_P1_CFV'.  :)

Oh, and the only change I had to apply from the OP was this one:

In the system.web/profile section change the MyProfileProvider type to "Altairis.Web.Security.SimpleSqlProfileProvider, Altairis.Web.Security, Version=2.4.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9a962e35c1398fb4".