Hard time with email integration

Topics: General
Jun 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Hi there,

I'm having a hard time with email integration on BugNet.

I'm on my own server and I created a mailbox for bugnet and an alias address for a project that redirects incoming emails to the previous one.

I enabled the feature on the application configuration with the bugnet mailbox credentials, configured the project with the alias address. 60000 milliseconds poll but nothing happens, not even an error message.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Edoardo.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Did you uncomment the MailBoxReaderModule in the web.config there are two places to uncomment them:

system.web -> httpModules

system.webServer -> modules

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Actually, yes, I did uncomment them but still... simply nothing happens.
I also tried setting bogus credentials to trigger some error but... nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I just wrote some instructions on configuration on our documentation page

http://bugnet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Configure%20Receiving%20Email%20with%20POP3

Please review this, and if you are still having issues increase the log level in the log4net.config file in the root of bugnet.

<root>
     <level value="DEBUG" />
     <appender-ref ref="AdoNetAppender" />
 </root>

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I can confirm my setup is according to that article but still nothing at all happens.

I have a couple of ambiguity to clear from the documentation:

• bugnet expects to poll *a single mailbox* defined with the username in the app config that might contain messages to the addresses specified per project
  • or bugnet expects to poll *multiple mailboxes* defined per project with the single credentials specified in the app config?

Also, the polling intervall is in milleseconds, right? So 60.000 -> 1 minute.

I rised the debug level as indicated but I get zero entries in the log viewer... :S

Bugnet version is 0.9.161.0

Thank you.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

The second,  bugnet can poll multiple mailboxes on the same server with single credentials specified in the application configuration.

The polling is in milliseconds.

Try changing the logging value to ALL , you should be seeing some log entries as there is logging for errors and info messages that let you know its enabled etc.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I'm definitely missing something in here for even with the ALL value my log is desolately empty...

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM
EPinci wrote:

I'm definitely missing something in here for even with the ALL value my log is desolately empty...

I am having the same issue - any help that can be offfered to further troubleshoot is greatly appreciated!!

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM
EPinci wrote:

I rised the debug level as indicated but I get zero entries in the log viewer... :S

Bugnet version is 0.9.161.0

I have the same problem! And wrote about it in privious post. I still can't find any decision for it. And I have the same problem with mailboxes. I try to set logging lvl to ALL - nothing happend.

Need help!

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I wrote a bug for developers in - http://support.bugnetproject.com/Issues/IssueDetail.aspx?id=2117

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM

is there any rows in the logviewer?

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

My log is completely empty. Nothing at all...

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

any errors in the event log on the machine?

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

how does bugnet know how to create issues based on issue type? - is there a specific template that needs to be followed in order for bugnet to know what issue type to code the given issue as??

right now we only have 1 email address configured for the issue type of bug - we have also tried setting up a mailbox for each issue type without any luck.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Hi EPinci:

Comment the next parraph:

<!-- email testing -->
    <!--<system.net>
        <mailSettings>
            <smtp deliveryMethod="SpecifiedPickupDirectory">
                <specifiedPickupDirectory pickupDirectoryLocation="C:\Email" />
            </smtp>
        </mailSettings>
    </system.net>-->

and try again.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Hi Gon! 

i have the same problem and I dont't have this text in my web.config file. (( 

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Verify that the log4net.config file is in the root folder of your BugNET installation.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

yup - it is there

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:07 AM
dubeaud wrote:

Verify that the log4net.config file is in the root folder of your BugNET installation.

Yes, I have it to. And as I wrote above - "I try to set logging lvl to ALL - nothing happend".

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Lets enabled the log4net internal debugging and see what is happening:

Add the following app setting

<configuration>
    <appSettings>
        <add key="log4net.Internal.Debug" value="true"/>
    </appSettings>
</configuration>

and configure the trace output

<configuration>

<system.diagnostics>
        <trace autoflush="true">
            <listeners>
                <add 
                    name="textWriterTraceListener" 
                    type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener" 
                    initializeData="C:\tmp\log4net.txt" />
            </listeners>
        </trace>
    </system.diagnostics>

</configuration>
hopefully this creates some insight on why the logging isn't working to begin with.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Ок. I make everythink that you wrote. 

here is my log4net debug file - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Rl7nqBJ3M0Q1drcExSVDhnVEE

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I see many strings "does not have a RepositoryAttribute specified." in my log file. I tried to search in Google this string, and found many forum post about log4net problems. May be some of them help you. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Back to your initial question what mail server (ie. Exchange, etc.) are you trying to connect to for POP3 integration?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

yes

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I have noticed other issues with log4net 1.2.11 (.net 4.0 ) not that I know if it is related but for the next release I have rolled back to 1.2.10

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I have confirmed with some testing that the maibox reader does work (connecting to my SmarterMail v10 instance using SSL via port 443).

This may be a case of how the target mail server is setup with/without using SSL and authentication.  Depending on your mail server you are using you may have to check out (or enable) the logging on the server and see if there are any authenication / POP3 errors being generated.

If the server is Exchange there is a good chance that the errors are being dumped into the Event Log somewhere.

I have found that the logging for log4net can be flaky with running in background threads/callbacks at times.  I also noticed that sometimes the mailbox reader just stops working (polling) when exceptions are thrown internally.  It did this to me a couple of times when I was testing with a bad password for the username.  I am not sure if this had anything to do with running in the debugger or not.

Might look at the code a bit more this weekend if it keeps raining.

- William

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Thought I'd weigh in here as I'm having the same issue with getting this to work and have some detail from the server-side of things.

After configuration and clicking the save button in the admin configuration of BugNet, I see a single incoming POP connection that appears successful on the server.  The MailReader seems to gets a list of messages and then issues a request for a single one, but nothing happens after that ... an issue is not created and the message is not deleted from the server.  Looks roughly like this:

• USER XXXX@XXXXXX +OK
  • PASS * +OK
  • LIST
  • RETR 1 +OK
  • QUIT +OK

If I go to POP3 Mailbox and toggle the Enabled setting again (and/or maybe if I remove/re-add the email address to the project, I'm not sure), it will contact the server. But again only once (it does the LIST and RETR 1 every time as well) and nothing happens beyond that.

Based on the messages above, I haven't bothered messing with logging, but I may try if I get some more time to debug this.

In my configuration, I'm not using SSL and I have the same email address setup in the application and project configurations.  I've tried changing the polling interval to a number of different values with no change in results.  There are three test messages on the server, but it only ever tries to retrieve the first one.  I also made sure the reporting username had full permissions.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback – unfortunately my company’s fancy email signatures have images all over – will have to wait till this gets addressed in a future release – we have limited development resources available to us to look further into this – I do appreciate your input and insight – thanks for sharing!

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:07 PM
To: Broking, Dean
Subject: Re: Hard time with email integration [bugnet:358741]

Thought I'd weigh in here as I'm having the same issue with getting this to work and have some detail from the server-side of things.

After configuration and clicking the save button in the admin configuration of BugNet, I see a single incoming POP connection that appears successful on the server. The MailReader seems to gets a list of messages and then issues a request for a single one, but nothing happens after that ... an issue is not created and the message is not deleted from the server. Looks roughly like this:

• USER XXXX@XXXXXX +OK
  • PASS * +OK
  • LIST
  • RETR 1 +OK
  • QUIT +OK

If I go to POP3 Mailbox and toggle the Enabled setting again (and/or maybe if I remove/re-add the email address to the project, I'm not sure), it will contact the server. But again only once (it does the LIST and RETR 1 every time as well) and nothing happens beyond that.

Based on the messages above, I haven't bothered messing with logging, but I may try if I get some more time to debug this.

In my configuration, I'm not using SSL and I have the same email address setup in the application and project configurations. I've tried changing the polling interval to a number of different values with no change in results. There are three test messages on the server, but it only ever tries to retrieve the first one. I also made sure the reporting username had full permissions.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

There is also an ongoing discussion and issue related to the POP3 Mailbox reader here http://bugnet.codeplex.com/discussions/391444

I have refactored/rewritted some of the reader and am currently working on some issues with it processing attachments when alternate regional/culture settings are congifured.