There are three ways you can install BugNET. You can:
- Install it using the Web Deployment Package.
- Download the BugNET .zip file and install it as described in Manually Installing BugNET Using a zip file.
- Download the BugNET source code and build BugNET from the command line or in Visual Studio.
This topic shows how to install BugNET using the Manually Installing BugNET Using a zip file.
The minimum requirements for running BugNET are the following:
- ASP.NET 4 - A web server such as IIS Express 7.5 or IIS 7.x.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 Express or greater.
Downloading the .zip File
Download the BugNET .zip file from CodePlex. Select the X.X.XXX Install.zip file for the latest build of BugNET as shown in the following illustration:
Extract the contents of the install package to a folder on your computer.
Installing Using SQL Express
- Create a directory in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder called bugnet (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bugnet)
- Copy the contents of the extracted BugNET Install package to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bugnet\ folder
- Go to the properties of the following folders / files and click on the Security tab, be sure to add the permissions for the appropriate user (WinXp/2000 uses the local ASPNET account, Win2003/Vista/2008/7 use the local Network Service account). Give this account modify permissions.
- Uploads - if using file system based uploads
- App_Data - This folder is where BugNET stores its database.
- web.config - the application installer will create a unique machine key for password encryption during the installation process
- Create a virtual directory in IIS for the bugnet folder.
- Open up the the web server IIS Console, Start-> Run-> INETMGR
- Expand the websites node
- Expand the default websites node
- Right click on the BugNET folder under the default website, click on Convert to Application, if you don't have that option, choose properties and then add the application.
- If you are using IIS 7, configure it to run in integrated mode, and configure the application pool to run the .NET Framework version 4.
- Browse to the website using http://localhost/BugNet/Install/Install.aspx. The installation process will now start.
When the installation is complete, you may log in with the admin user account.
In version 0.9 we switched to .NET framework 4.0 so verify that you application pool in IIS is running under .NET 4.
- Backup live database & files
- Put App_Offline.html in live BugNET directory.
- Download new distribution to local machine
- Use winMerge or equivalent to compare new and old web.configs. Copy across any config from old, eg connection string, install date app setting and machinekey.
- Start BugNET, hit the home page to verify that it compiles
The database is automatically upgraded when you hit the home page. You should see a log of what's been done plus a "success" message after a few minutes.