Upgrade path from 0.8.276.0 to 1.6.329?

Topics: Installing BugNET
Sep 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM
We are about to upgrade an bugnet installation that has not been updated in a looooong time, it is currently running version 0.8.276.0.
The installation has 5 projects and about 1000 issues and sing integration security (AD integration). We have not done any customizations to the code but we are using a few custom fields in one of the projects.

How should we upgrade this installation? Directly from 0.8.276.0 to 1.6.329 or should we do it step-by step by using a few intermediate versions? Anything to look out for? Gotchas?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM
AndreasPaulsson wrote:
We are about to upgrade an bugnet installation that has not been updated in a looooong time, it is currently running version 0.8.276.0.
The installation has 5 projects and about 1000 issues and sing integration security (AD integration). We have not done any customizations to the code but we are using a few custom fields in one of the projects.

How should we upgrade this installation? Directly from 0.8.276.0 to 1.6.329 or should we do it step-by step by using a few intermediate versions? Anything to look out for? Gotchas?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
There is a direct upgrade path for any previous version. Just a few things.
  1. Always back up both your BugNET folder and the database before making any changes.
  2. Disable AD authentication before you upgrade
  3. Decide what version of BugNET you want to upgrade to , 1.6 is still a work in progress, the latest and greatest but has a full new UI.
Other than that, just try an upgrade and see if you get any errors, if you do please post back and we can try to help you through them.
Sep 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I went for the 1.5.265 version.

After copying the 1.5.265 distribution to the folder of the website and then copying the connection string from the old web.config to the new web.config, I got the following error (YSOD):

Column 'ReceiveEmailNotifications' required for property 'ReceiveEmailNotifications' was not found in table 'BugNet_UserProfiles'.

And, as the error says the column ReceiveEmailNotifications is missing from the BugNet_UserProfiles table. This seems to be a change from 1.0 to 1.1:

https://bugnet.codeplex.com/releases/view/92640

where a user profile property was changed from NotificationTypes to ReceiveEmailNotifications.

So how do I proceed now?
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I copied some SQL upgrade script code:
ALTER TABLE [dbo].[BugNet_UserProfiles]
    ADD [ReceiveEmailNotifications] BIT DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL;
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[BugNet_UserProfiles]
    ADD [PasswordVerificationToken]               NVARCHAR (128) NULL,
        [PasswordVerificationTokenExpirationDate] DATETIME       NULL;
GO
and after that, I could go to /install/install.aspx and the upgrade process was successful.

I now get errors for "Invalid object name 'BugNet_P1_CFV'", but if I got to /Administration/Projects/ProjectList.aspx and press the "Generate Custom Field Views" link twice (first time, if fails) it now seems to work.

Rough upgrade, but it now seems to work. I will test some more and write here again if I find anything else.