Redirecting to Install page

Topics: Core, General, Installing BugNET
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I got BugNet version 1.3.242 installed, but every time the application pool fires up, the site redirects to the install page. After going to the install page on the initial load, the site works fine. But that initial firing up will force the system to the install page. Does anyone have any idea on what I should look at to fix that?
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM
On an application start the application checks the assembly version and the db version. If the two are different it will redirect to the install page.

On Thursday, April 4, 2013, ChaitanyaMarvici wrote:

I got BugNet version 1.3.242 installed, but every time the application pool fires up, the site redirects to the install page. After going to the install page on the initial load, the site works fine. But that initial firing up will force the system to the install page. Does anyone have any idea on what I should look at to fix that?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Thanks for responding, but I had already considered that. The DLL and the version in the database are the same.

The DLL file version is 1.3.242.0, and the product version is 1.3.242.
And the version in the database under the hostsettings table is 1.3.242.0

Any other ideas? :)

Chaitanya Marvici
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
If the query to the database fails then it would think its a new install, double check your connection string.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
The connection string definitely isn't a problem. After the install page, I am then able to go to the site correctly, and EVERYTHING shows up properly. All the projects are there, with all the issues. I can login and everything on the site works just fine. It's just when the application pool fires up the first time. After the application pool is up and running, then it doesn't go to the install page. Everything works properly how it should.

BTW, I do appreciate the ideas! Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Chaitanya Marvici
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Is there anything interesting about your environment? Nested applications in IIS?

Are there any errors in the log viewer of the application or the server event log if you have access?

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Nothing special. I am running the application in it's own application pool. The url of the site is http://support.marvici.com. It's setup as it's own site inside of IIS. I have the application pool setup to use Network Service instead of application pool identity. No nested applications. And there are not any errors showing in the log viewer of the application or the server event log related to this site.

The only thing that might be a bit different is the use of the network service instead of application pool identity. But changing that didn't make a different either.

Chaitanya Marvici
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I finally figured it out. But it required that I dig into the code to find out what was being doing to force the upgrade.

The one thing that I didn't mention is that I had combined my DotNetNuke install and the BugNet install into the same database. DotNetNuke has a table called HostSettings and BugNet uses a table called BugNet_HostSettings, but in the PAST had used a table called HostSettings. In the file SqlDataProviderHelpers.cs in the source code that is located in the Library/Providers/DataProviders/SqlDataProvider directory, in the method GetDatabaseVersion(), the code is checking for a settingsvalue from the HostSettings table and expecting it to fail if it's not version .7 or .8. Since that table exists, but did not contain a row for version, it is returning null, which is then being dumped into the currentVersion variable. Right below that, the code is ONLY checking if currentVersion == string.empty or currentVersion == "ERROR", and no check is being done for NULL.

That check really should be String.IsNullOrEmpty(currentVersion) instead of just checking for string.empty, which would have properly prevented this particular issue from occurring.

In the meantime, I have added the version information to the HostSettings table and all is good. But I would like to see this get fixed properly so that I can remove that value from a DNN table.

I assume that this should be entered as a defect? I shall go ahead and do that.

dubeaud, thanks for your help. :)

Chaitanya Marvici
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.