Using POP3 Mailbox

Topics: Customizing BugNET, General
Dec 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Edited Dec 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to set-up the Pop3 Mailbox to allow emails to be sent to BugNet Issue Tracker, which would then be converted to Issues.

I just want to check to make sure I have a correct understanding of how this works.  From what I can gather:

1. I go to the Application Configuration page and select "POP3 Mailbox".  I enter the details of my POP3 Mailbox which is effectively an email account, ie: issue.tracking@example.com.
  2. I then need to set-up a number of Aliases through my email client for the different projects I am working on, for example, project.1@example.com and project.2@example.com.
  3. I then go into the relevant projects in the BugNet Issue Tracker and enter the alias details for each project under "Mailboxes".  For example, Project 1 would have the mailbox project.1@example.com, which is an alias for issue.tracking@example.com.
  4. As BugNet Issue Tracker scans the POP3 Mailbox (issue.tracking@example.com), it is able to determine what the "to" address was (ie: this would be the alias, eg: project.1@example.com).  It is then able to assign that email to the correct project and create an issue accordingly.

Am I correct in all of this?

Appreciate your help.

Stephen

Developer
Dec 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Depending on how your email server handles the aliases then it sounds like it should work but not knowing what email system you are using is hard to tell.  Most of the email systems I have worked with have the alias configuration at a domain level not at a client level so the #2 part would be the one step that has me wondering.  If you mean client as like outlook then it probably might not work.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Appreciate the reply.

I assume the alias configuration would be at domain level so apologies, "client" was the wrong word to use here. Our email system is managed externally so I know very little about it and would need to run it by them. I did try gmail with the plus addressing mentioned in another post but this didnt work for me, presumably due to ports being blocked in our network that are required for this service. I had some issues debugging it as nothing was appearing in the logs (even after editing the log4net.config file).

Is there anything in particular I need to ask out network team regarding using the aliases or do you reckon I should be ok?

Thank you for your time.

Developer
Dec 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

As long as the aliases drop the emails into the one mailbox and everything is configured to poll the it should work.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for this.  I've just been told we use imap rather than pop for our mailboxes.  Is this going to be a problem?