Can't Get BugNet Up and Running on Shared Server

Topics: Installing BugNET
Nov 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I am new to .Net so I may be missing something obvious. 

I am using VS 2012 Ultimate and the latest source for BUGNET. It runs perfectly on my local system.

When I publish the BugNET_WAP project locally and then FTP the published content to my shared server, I get the following error when navigating to the URL for the BugNET site (I see this error before I see any BugNET pages):

"Could not load file or assembly 'BugNET.HttpModules.Authentication' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I looked in the BIN folder and the HttpModules libraries are not there. I could copy them manually I suppose, but obviously this is not what the architecture expects.

I do see that the referenced DLL is compiled in a Library folder under my BugNET solution root. And that's where I am stuck. I just don't understand how the projects in the Library folder could possibly make their way into the BIN folder of the BugNET_WAP web project. I also don't understand where a published web site expects to see those HttpModules DLL assemblies since there is no Library folder in my published web site folder structure.

I Googled "ASP.NET Library Folder" and  found nothing useful. It seems that Library is a special type of ASP.NET folder, but I can't figure out what search terms to use in order to find how it works. Or perhaps I'm wrong and it is just a folder under my solution that holds HttpModules and Providers projects.

So, can someone help me figure out how to fix the above-mentioned error on my shared web server? I am trying to get BugNET set up so that I can begin using it Monday if possible.

Thank you very much!
-- Jon 

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Copying them manually should be fine.  When you compile in release mode, all of the assemblies are output to the "bugnet\src\build\output" folder

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Debeaud:

You are awesome! OK, copying the DLL files for HttpModules and Providers to the BIN folder on the target web server worked. I now see the BugNET Issue Tracker sign-on page! I will experiment further to see what other issues might surface.

Meanwhile, can you (or someone else who is following this) give a brief explanation as to the Library folder in the solution? Why were the HttpModules projects and Providers projects placed in a folder called Library rather than in projects like BugNET.BLL, BugNET.Entitles, etc.? And how are the HttpModules and Providers DLLs available to the project when I run it from within the VS IDE but not when I publish the web project to a target folder? If it's necessary to copy those HttpModules and Providers DLLs to the BIN folder of my hosted web server then I'm stumped as to why I found no other threads regarding this. It seems that no one else had that kind of trouble deploying... 

Thank you again for your quick help.
-- Jon 

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
jazimov wrote:

Debeaud:

You are awesome! OK, copying the DLL files for HttpModules and Providers to the BIN folder on the target web server worked. I now see the BugNET Issue Tracker sign-on page! I will experiment further to see what other issues might surface.

Meanwhile, can you (or someone else who is following this) give a brief explanation as to the Library folder in the solution? Why were the HttpModules projects and Providers projects placed in a folder called Library rather than in projects like BugNET.BLL, BugNET.Entitles, etc.? And how are the HttpModules and Providers DLLs available to the project when I run it from within the VS IDE but not when I publish the web project to a target folder? If it's necessary to copy those HttpModules and Providers DLLs to the BIN folder of my hosted web server then I'm stumped as to why I found no other threads regarding this. It seems that no one else had that kind of trouble deploying... 

Thank you again for your quick help.
-- Jon 

Glad you got it working.  The source is setup with postbuild copy commands to copy the non referenced assemblies needed for the providers to the bind folder. You can see these in the project settings, build event tabs for the providers.

The library folder is just a way of grouping projects.

The project predates the publish functionality in Visual Studio, so I haven't tried it (with bugnet) as we have a build server setup to compile and create packages.  

Hope that helps.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Yes, that explains pretty much everything regarding the Library-folder contents. Thank you.

I have another issue and will start another thread. 

Regards,
-- Jon