OK, second try....thanks in advance

Topics: Installing BugNET
Nov 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I started over with a VM.

Server 2003 R2, ASP.NET 4, SQL Express 2005 - that should work, right?

Followed the instructions giving permissions to the folders/files - the application pool is running under Network Service even though it is IIS 6 but I gave permission to the ASP user as well.

Yet, when I go to http://localhost/BugNet/Install/Install.aspx  I get this - I must be doing something wrong:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'requirePermission'.

Source Error:

Line 2:  <configuration>
Line 3:      <configSections>
Line 4:          <section name="dotNetOpenAuth" type="DotNetOpenAuth.Configuration.DotNetOpenAuthSection" requirePermission="false" allowLocation="true"/>
Line 5:          <section name="HtmlEditorProvider" type="BugNET.Providers.HtmlEditorProviders.HtmlEditorConfiguration, BugNET.Providers.HtmlEditorProviders" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
Line 6:          <section name="DataProvider" type="BugNET.DAL.DataProviderConfiguration, BugNET.DAL" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\BugNet\web.config    Line: 4

Developer
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

It's been a long time since I worked in IIS6 but on the ASP.NET tab (right click on the web site or virtual directory) is the .NET version set to 4.0?  By default it would be 2.0.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM
wrhighfield wrote:

It's been a long time since I worked in IIS6 but on the ASP.NET tab (right click on the web site or virtual directory) is the .NET version set to 4.0?  By default it would be 2.0.

You were right and that did help.  I wish that was the end of it.   From the instructions it sounds like BugNet works on IIS6 but I'm beginning to have my doubts.   There is no separate "convert to application" step but it IS configured as an application. 

Newest error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 9:          <reporting enabled="false"/>
Line 10:     </dotNetOpenAuth>
Line 11:     <DataProvider defaultProvider="SqlDataProvider">
Line 12:         <providers>
Line 13:             <add name="SqlDataProvider" type="BugNET.Providers.DataProviders.SqlDataProvider, BugNET.Providers.SqlDataProvider" connectionStringName="BugNET" providerPath="~\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\"/>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bugnet\web.config    Line: 11

Developer
Nov 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Try looking at this tutorial http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/32210/Deployment-of-a-Website-on-IIS it is specific for IIS6

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

OK, started over again on Server 2008 and SQL Express 2008.  It still wasn't straightforward but I got it working so far.

Thanks for the help along the way.