Installing Bugnet - Executing Script: InstallCommon.sql Error!

Topics: Installing BugNET
Sep 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I have successfully installed BugNet -Version: 1.0.187.0 On my machine 1 month ago. I have stared to use it and Its working fine. suddenly I am facing the below error on default page.

Installing BugNETVersion: 1.0.187.0Installation Status Report00:00:00.0010000 - Installing Version: 1.0.187.000:00:00.0010000 - Installing Membership Provider:00:00:00.0020001 -    Executing Script: InstallCommon.sql Error!Error DetailsFile InstallCommon.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0040002 -    Executing Script: InstallMembership.sql Error!Error DetailsFile InstallMembership.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0080004 -    Executing Script: InstallProfile.sql Error!Error DetailsFile InstallProfile.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0100006 -    Executing Script: InstallRoles.sql Error!Error DetailsFile InstallRoles.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0140008 - Installing BugNET Database:00:00:00.0140008 -    Executing Script: BugNET.Schema.SqlDataProvider.sql Error!Error DetailsFile BugNET.Schema.SqlDataProvider.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0330019 - Installing BugNET Default Data:00:00:00.0340019 -    Executing Script: BugNET.Data.SqlDataProvider.sql Error!Error DetailsFile BugNET.Data.SqlDataProvider.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

00:00:00.0340019 - Creating Administrator Account
Error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)Installation Failed!

Please help..

Developer
Sep 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Check to see if the SQL Server instance you are connecting to is running.  Depending on the OS the instance is running on you will need to open up the services console and look for the SQLServer service and see what state it is in, you may have to start it.  Also make sure that the service is set to Automatic startup.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cehc+for+windows+service+ruinning&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&redir_esc=&ei=C7FdUJWdHeifyAGM3oGgCg#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=X&ei=FbFdUMiOC-mXyAH1hIGoDQ&ved=0CBsQvwUoAQ&q=check+if+windows+service+running&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c6351d5ede36e83b&biw=1477&bih=860

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I have checked the SQLServer service. It is in Automatic state. Site successfully built from Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Issue arises only when trying to browse the site from IIS server.

Not able to find what exact reasons.

Please help...

Developer
Sep 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Can you describe your setup?  Like are you running BugNET on a separate server is SQL Server on a separate server, etc.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Hi

Thanks for quick reply....

Please see below my Configuration and installation details-

Configuration -

IIS 7, visual Studio 2010,SQL SERVER 2008

BUGNET - BugNET-1.0.187-Install

I have followed below steps to install bugnet 

1. Create a directory in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder called bugnet (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bugnet)

2. Copied the contents of the extracted BugNET Install package to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bugnet\ folder
3. Given the necessary permissions
4. Create a virtual directory in IIS for the bugnet folder.
5. Open up the the web server IIS Console, Start-> Run-> INETMGR
6. Expand the websites node
7. Expand the default websites node
8. Right click on the BugNET folder under the default website, click on Convert to Application, if you don't have that option, choose properties and then add the application.
9. configure it to run in integrated mode, and configure the application pool to run the .NET Framework version 4.
10.Configure the database server.Load the SQL Server 2005/2008 management toolExpand the Server/Security nodeCreate a blank SQL Database (e.g db name 'BugNet') on sql server using a case insensitive collation.Configure the SQL User Security/Account to allow IIS and ASP.NET access to the database in SQL.
11. Add the connectionstring in web.config file.

12. Browse to the website using http://localhost/BugNet/Install/Install.aspx. The installation process will now start.

using the above steps successfully installed bugnet on my m/c and started to use it. But now I am facing the below error when I am trying to browse the website.

http://localhost/BugNet/Install/Install.aspx.

Installing BugNETVersion: 1.0.187.0Installation Status Report00:00:00.0010000 - Installing Version: 1.0.187.000:00:00.0010000 - Installing Membership Provider:00:00:00.0020001 -    Executing Script: InstallCommon.sql Error!Error DetailsFileInstallCommon.sqlError   A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol)

I have open the website in microsoft visual studio 2010 and built the bugnet website. Here I am able to see default page - http://localhost:1119/BugNET/Default.aspx 

But could not able to browse url  http://localhost/BugNet/Install/Install.aspx. or http://localhost/BugNet/Default.aspx

Developer
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Usually when you get this error "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible" it means that the Data Source= part of the connection string is incorrect and pointing to a server that does not exist or is not accepting remote connections.

If your BugNET database is on a separate server than IIS you will need to make sure that the Data Source part points to the MACHINE_NAME\SQL_SERVER_INSTANCE_NAME and that machine can accept remote connections (either through the SQL Server config or the firewall on the server).

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I have checked the connectionstring. It is correct. Still no Luck

Please Help...

Developer
Sep 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Here are 7 common issues with the error you are receiving.

http://www.sswug.org/articlesection/default.aspx?TargetID=44331

Also searching for the error in Google will bring lots of results https://www.google.ca/search?q=A+network-related+or+instance-specific+error+occurred+while+establishing+a+connection+to+SQL+Server.+The+server+was+not+found+or+was+not+accessible&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=&redir_esc=&ei=TqRlUMmFD4Gi2AWW_YGQCQ

I hate to say it but based on the error messages it would seem that it is not a BugNET issue but more of a SQL Server configuration issue.

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible"

"Server doesn't support requested protocol"

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

This may not be what is happening to you but just in case...

I had a similar issue where I followed the steps as described and edited the web config from within the folder under inetpub. I saved, without warning, and tried to install. It wasn't until I closed and reopened that I noticed it hadn't actually saved the changes. I can only assume because the inetpub folder is a system protected folder. I would have expected some form of warning though. Anyway I edited on my desktop, verified the changes saved then copied to the BugNET folder under inetpub and it worked.